In June 2017, it was announced that Duluth had been selected as a 2017 Knight Cities Challenge winner. The focus of this grant opportunity is on Canal Park – with a project known as “Imagine Canal Park." The intent: to increase Duluth's vibrancy by re-purposing space in Canal Park with mega pop-up installations that attract and connect diverse residents from different backgrounds.
We have been:
- Hosting extensive community engagement processes that canvas residents and neighbors about how they get to Canal Park and what they want to see/do in Canal Park.
- Launching a series of pop-up installments in Canal Park. Different programming will be tested in different seasons. Results and data will be gathered.
- Collecting quantitative measures and qualitative feedback to inform Imagine Duluth’s comprehensive plan update.
We want to:
- Increase use of Canal Park year-round.
- Determine the best activities and programming that help to connect citizens of different backgrounds.
- Create common pedestrian oriented gathering spaces that build social capital and connections between people.
The interim report and the executive summary version of the report are now available. These documents contain an analysis of the data collected during the launch engagement events in September 2017, as well as suggestions for pilot projects. Click here for the interim report or click here for the executive summary.
If you’re interested in learning more, please feel free to contact the City at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-730-5580.